Want to know how to let go of the past and future – so you can enjoy a happy life in the present? Read on for some helpful tools.
The past is good to learn from – not to live in.
If you’re looking for a second place to live, make it some place beautiful – like a beach house somewhere in Hawaii.
Or better yet – simply start living in the moment – wherever you might be in the moment – even if it’s on the subway – or doing the dirty dishes in your home. Vow to be fully present.
Ditto for the importance of living in the present – even with fears about how things will unfold in the future.
I know what you’re thinking. Easier said than done.
No worries. I’m here to help!
How To Let Go Of the Past and Future And Be Happy Now
Below are 2 practical tools to encourage you to let go of the past and future – so you can enjoy the good happy stuff that’s right smack in front of you.
1. Get clear on why you’re clinging to the past.
Ask yourself what this time you keep obsessing about represents to you.
- Does it represent something you miss?
- Do you feel that you will never be able to once again enjoy that status, that attention, that high bar of achievement or fulfillment?
Take some time to list some accomplishments you’ve made recently – so you remind yourself you’re strong, worthy and capable.
Check out this article for 6 tips to boost your confidence.
Also ask yourself this question:
- Does this time from the past represent regret?
If so …
- Look for the meaning, purpose and lessons you attained – so you can focus on the gain in your pain.
- Commit to stop re-playing in your mind what you could have done differently. Just vow to learn the lesson – and do things differently – starting now!
- You cannot change the past. But you can learn some really good life lessons from it – which then improves your present and your future.
Check out this article for a tool to forgive your past mistakes.
2. Get clear on what you’re avoiding in the future.
- Are you preferring the past – because there’s something about your future you don’t want to face?
Basically, does living in the past keep you blessedly preoccupied? As a result, you don’t have to deal with a particular challenge, fear, project, task or individual.
Your new assignment…
- Make a list of things you might be avoiding.
- Afterwards, make a list of how to better confront and deal with these things – so they’re less overwhelming and challenging.
Also ask yourself…
- Are you avoiding getting out of your comfort zone – because “the pain of living in the past” is a better alternative than “the pain of uncertainty which the present and future bring”?
- The best things in life are at the exit ramp of your comfort zone.
Plus, ponder this fact:
- Research says that 80% of what people are afraid of happening ….never actually happens!
I write about this more here – oh and here – and also here
Get further support to let go of the past and future
Check out my bestselling book, Think Happy.
Boost your confidence, attitude, and mood with this powerful and thought provoking collection of short essays and happiness strategies.
Think Happy will help you to change your neural pathways so you’re inclined to think more positive thoughts, which lead to more positive habits, which lead to a more positively happy life.
Think happier. Think calmer.
Think about subscribing for free weekly tools here.