Here are 15 of the best grief quotes and loss quotes to help you move on with more peace in your heart.Feel free to share these healing quotes with those you know and love who have lost people they knew and loved.
1. “Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.”–Alphonse de Lamartine
2. “I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.”–Alyson Noel3. “There are no happy endings. Endings are the saddest part, So just give me a happy middle And a very happy start.” –Shel Silverstein
4. “The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief – But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love.” –Hilary Stanton Zunin
5. “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”–Anne Lamott6. “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” –John Steinbeck
7. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” — Edna St. Vincent Millay
8. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison9. “It is 4am. Your perfume is on Everything, on me On all the world – you Are all around, you Are all of my tattered Senses and no poetry, No song, no writing, Nothing in the world Will make this better.” –David Jones
10. “When someone you love dies, and you’re not expecting it, you don’t lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time — the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers. Gradually, you accumulate the parts of her that are gone. Just when the day comes — when there’s a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that she’s gone, forever — there comes another day, and another specifically missing part.”–John Irving11. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” –Helen Keller
12. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” –Washington Irving
13. “Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not, and oftentimes we call a man cold, when he is only sad.” –Henry Wadsworth Longfellow14. “While grief is fresh, every attempt to divert only irritates. You must wait till it be digested, and then amusement will dissipate the remains of it.” –Samuel Johnson
15. “… And here am I, budding among the ruins with only sorrow to bite on, as if weeping were a seed and I the earth’s only furrow.” –Pablo Neruda
Please feel free to pass on these quotes. xo, Karen
Hi I’m Karen Salmansohn, founder of NotSalmon. My mission is to offer you easy-to-understand insights and tools to empower you to bloom into your happiest, highest potential self. I use playful analogies, feisty humor, and stylish graphics to distill big ideas – going as far back as ancient wisdom from Aristotle, Buddhism and Darwin to the latest research studies from Cognitive Therapy, Neuro Linquistic Programming, Neuroscience, Positive Psychology, Quantum Physics, Nutritional Studies – and then some.
Live your happiest life. Get my research-based happiness newsletter delivered conveniently to your inbox.