If you’re struggling with a toxic person, here are 47 insightful quotes about narcissism that are worth knowing.
Self-love is the most important thing to do.
But some people, in the name of their own self love, will demean others.
They will boost their own self confidence by trying to make others look lower, lesser, pitiful. Plus they will strive to always be admired.., and the center of attention.
Psychologists actually describe a narcissistic person’s behavior as “self-obsession” rather than “self-love.” Although some people are “covert narcissists.” These people aren’t as obvious about their boasting and self-admiration. And they are more manipulative and sneaky about how they belittle others.
If there is someone in your life who displays such behavior, they may have narcissistic personality disorder.
What is narcissistic personality disorder?
You’ll recognize this trait of a “narcissistic personality disorder” in someone because this person will admire themselves.
And they do anything to feed their “narcissistic supply”… by enlisting others to admire them as well.
Plus narcissists are also known for their gaslighting traits. They will switch the blame for conflicts to you.
Many renowned people have given some thoughts about these toxic people that can help you to better understand this narcissistic personality type.
If you want to protect yourself, you need to learn techniques to maintain boundaries with a Narcissist.
And if you’ve had a messy break up with a narcissist, you’ll need to learn how to heal and grow from the break up with a narcissist – so you can create a happier future.
So, let’s look at some of the most insightful quotes about narcissism that will help you understand this term more.
47 Insightful Quotes About Narcissism
Toxic Narcissism Quotes
- “Narcissists have poor self-esteem, but they are typically very successful. They feel entitled and self-important; they crave admiration and lack empathy. They are also exploitative and envious. The malignant types never forget a slight. They may kill you ten years later for cutting them off in traffic. But they act perfectly normal while plotting their revenge.” — Janet M. Tavakoli
- “Narcissism is voluntary blindness, an agreement not to look beneath the surface.” — Sam Keen
- “Narcissists withhold affection to punish you. Withhold attention to get revenge. And withhold an emotional, empathetic response to make you feel insecure.” ― Alice Little
- “Everyone thinks they’re entitled to their 15 minutes of fame. And it’s that narcissism that makes people, who have no business writing a book, think they can write a book.” ― Oliver Markus Malloy
- “Parents are supposed to give the child back to herself with love. If they’ve got duct tape over their eyes because of narcissism, it doesn’t happen.” — Jane Fonda
- “Since narcissists deep down feel themselves to be faultless, it is inevitable that when they conflict with the world, they will invariably perceive the conflict as the world’s fault.” — M. Scott Peck
- “No matter how socially skilled an extreme narcissist is, he has a major attachment dysfunction. The extreme narcissist is frozen in childhood.” — Samuel Lopez de Victoria
Covert Narcissism Quotes
- “What are narcissists looking for, after all? Just someone at their level that they can feel superior to.” ― Luigina Sgarro
- “Healthy levels of narcissism and self-enhancement are necessary, with a low level of self-enhancement being detrimental to our wellbeing and success.” ― Theresa Jackson
- “The narcissist would love nothing more than to know you are eating uncooked Top Ramen out of a dumpster for dinner tonight while wearing yesterday’s underwear.” — Tina Swithin
- “I have a very simple question for people who seem to suffer from excessive narcissism: Please name three other persons who are smarter and more capable than you, in the field you work in. In most cases, they are utterly unable to answer that question honestly.” — Ingo Molnar
- “The narcissist devours people, consumes their output, and casts the empty, writhing shells aside.” — Sam Vaknin
- “Narcissistic love is riding on the rollercoaster of disaster filled with a heart full of tears.”— Sheree Griffin
- “A narcissist paints a picture of themselves as being the victim or innocent in all aspects. They will be offended by the truth. But what is done in the dark will come to light. Time has a way of showing people’s true colors.” — Karla Grimes
- “Don’t confuse between self-love and narcissism. Self-love is making yourself your number one priority, but narcissism is starting to enforce that priority over others. The first one is healthy; the second one is not. The first one is for your mental healthiness and well-being while the second one is to mess up with other people’s peace of mind to serve your own needs.” ― Gracia Hunter
Narcissistic Abuse Quotes
- “Narcissists, however, are similar to a spider that has built a web for its prey to bring itself.” ― Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “Many victims of narcissistic abuse are hypersensitive. They don’t want to be told by others that they are wrong when they fight with their narcissist. They see it as standing up for themselves when in reality it is perpetuating what the narcissist wants ― drama and a reaction.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “The biggest impediment to loving life is our inflated egos. Only by suppressing our ego and controlling our selfish thoughts can we truly comprehend the immaculate beauty of every day unfolding before us.” ― Kilroy J. Oldster
- “For someone as amazing as you, attention is like food, and you’re always hungry.” ― Seth McDonough
- “Individuality should not translate to narcissism. Realizing the strength of individuality is an accomplishment while being narcissistic is a failure.” ― Amitav Chowdhury
- “His arrogance is going to bury whatever parts of him which survived the death of his pretentiousness.” ― Niedria Dionne Kenny
- “Narcissism and self-deception are survival mechanisms without which many of us might just jump off a bridge.” – Todd Solondz
- “Out of all the addictions in the world, Attention is slowly but surely becoming one of the most dangerous.” ― Saahil Prem
- “There’s a reason narcissists don’t learn from mistakes, and that’s because they never get past the first step, which is admitting that they made one.” — Jeffrey Kluger
- “The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling! Just drawing back and drawing in, becoming narcissistic.” ― Rod Serling
Healing From a Narcissist Quotes
- “Narcissists are emotional porcupines, watch out for the quills!” ― Tracy A. Malone
- “Some people think that the world revolves around them, but even the Sun is not the center of the Universe.” ― Halle Teart
- “Every narcissist is a hero and a legend in his own mind.” ― Oscar Auliq-Ice
- “White feminist narcissism has no truck with the idea that we are anything but victims.” ― Alison Phipps
- “What a sick, narcissistic society must be we to reward relatability more than credibility?” ― Adeel Ahmed Khan
- “Here, too, we can see that not being open to learning something new does not automatically make someone a narcissist. In fact, a narcissist is required to be more knowledgeable in many fields; mostly in psychology.” ― Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “In a narcissist’s world, you are not their one and only. You are an extension of that person and last place in their mind, while they secure back up narcissistic supply.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “I’m too ugly to be a narcissist.” ― Mitch Albom
- “Beware of narcissistic people. They’ll tell everyone you’re crazy, only to cover up their trickery. ” ― Mitta Xinindlu
- “An abuser’s psychological diagnosis isn’t the problem. Their sense of entitlement is.” ― Caroline Abbott
- “Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life on his terms.” — Elizabeth Bowen
Children Of Narcissists Quotes
- “Daughters of narcissistic mothers absorb the message “I am valued for what I do, rather than for who I am.”” ― Karyl McBride
- “Children of narcissists learn that love is abuse. The narcissist teaches them that if someone displeases you, it is okay to harm them and call it love.” ― M. Wakefield
Letting Go of Narcissist Quotes
- “And we need to know what it is to be human if we are to avoid becoming narcissists.” ― Alexander Lowen
- “I loved myself and since I loved me, I loved him because I realized he was good for me. A type of self-worth, a type of narcissistic love.” ― Dominic Riccitello
- “We are to give (and take) true love without falling into the narcissistic habit of only trying to take it in.” ― Criss Jami
- “I spend my life constantly calling in ‘imaginary’ debts that aren’t owed to me in order to avoid the ‘real’ debts that I owe to others, and so everybody ends up bankrupt.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “Playing the victim role: Manipulator portrays him- or herself as a victim of circumstance or of someone else’s behavior in order to gain pity, sympathy, or evoke compassion and thereby get something from another. Caring and conscientious people cannot stand to see anyone suffering, and the manipulator often finds it easy to play on sympathy to get cooperation.” ― George K. Simon Jr.
- “I like to be admired from afar, and then complimented up close.” ― Gena Showalter
Traits of Narcissism Quotes
- “When a toxic person can no longer control you, they will try to control how others see you. The misinformation will feel unfair, but stay above it, trusting that other people will eventually see the truth just like you did.” – Jill Blakeway
- “The ‘I’ is the ego that we must avoid at any cost if we truly wish to be different from narcissists. Instead of using ‘I’ repeatedly, it would be wise to replace it with ‘we.’” ― Mwanandeke Kindembo
- “By aggrandizing one’s own abilities and achievements, the grandiose person remains out of touch with who they truly are and as such, remains prone to crossing the boundaries of others.” ― Steven Franssen
Hopefully, these quotes about narcissists helped you to better understand their behavior. If you truly love someone with this personality type, urge them to speak to a professional counselor to help them lead a better life and improve their relationships.
Author Bio: Sowjanya is an expert blogger and contributes articles about a range of different topics, such as beauty, health and wellness, and everything that may interest women. She is a regular contributor to StyleCraze.com andother websites. You can reach her on LinkedIn.
Get Research Based Tools To Maintain Boundaries With Narcissists
Learn effective ways to manage people who treat you badly with the therapist recommended Manage & Avoid Drama Llamas Online Course. Spot narcissists, liars, passive aggressive personalities & a range of “High Conflict People” sooner. Master the art of challenging conversations. Reduce stress & drama. Enjoy more inner peace.
Think happier. Think calmer.
Think about subscribing for free weekly tools here.