As a loving parent, you want to protect your kid’s health and so you’ll appreciate these simple ways to reduce sugar in your child’s diet.
Keeping your kid’s diet balanced can be quite the adventure in a world teeming with tempting sugary treats. Sugar is almost everywhere, and, unsurprisingly, as a parent, you may worry your kids are taking too much.
Fortunately, you can dial down the sugar intake without dampening their enjoyment.
I’m writing about this topic not only because I am a concerned mom! But also because I am a bestselling wellness author and founded the groundbreaking video course called Stop Emotional Eating.
I love sharing insights and strategies to help people stay at their healthiest.
With this in mind I put together this quick guide to help reduce the sugar intake in your child’s diet.
From finding a sweet harmony to cooking more at home, here are four ways to reduce sugar in your child’s diet.
The 90/10 rule is the secret defense for managing your kid’s sugar intake. Instead of seeking perfection, let your kid have treats while focusing mainly on nutrient-dense foods. Around 90% of what they eat can be nutrient-rich, like whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, and veggies. The remaining 10% can account for those sweet splurges. This approach will cut down their sugar and nurture a healthy relationship with food that feels anything limiting.
There’s no need for an all-or-nothing situation when it comes to sweets. Teach your kid to balance the tasty stuff with the nutritious foods. Imagine a cookie paired up with a juicy piece of fruit or a handful of crunchy nuts. This double act slows down sugar absorption, meaning no more blood sugar surges. And here is the bonus – the fiber, protein, and healthy fats from these foods, like almond crisp crackers, make your kids feel full and less likely to go on a sugar-fueled snacking spree.
Moreover, you can spark your creativity by adding Halloween leftover sweets and treats to nutritious food for healthy snacking. For instance, you can blend 60% less sugar gummy worms from Eat Rotten or small candy pieces into a smoothie with banana, spinach, and almond milk for a tasty and nutritious beverage. You can dip dry apricots, banana slices, or strawberries in melted dark chocolate, then top them with crushed candy for a delightful treat. Layering low-fat yogurt with gummy worms, fresh berries, and granola creates a balanced and visually appealing snack.
Vegetables and fruits are like nature’s candy, jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The more colors on the plate, the merrier! There is no doubt about how fruits and vegetables can benefit your kid’s health. But how do you get your kids to eat more? You can sneak them into smoothies, toss them in a salad, or make them pleasurable finger foods for tasty dipping. These options aren’t just naturally sweet; they’re packed with the good stuff that helps your kid grow and thrive.
Encouraging children to consume more vegetables and fruits is vital for their overall health. To do this, lead by example and incorporate a variety of these foods into your own meals. Make the experience enjoyable and creative by involving your kids in meal preparation, letting them choose from a selection of fruits and vegetables, and trying various cooking methods.
Providing a variety of options and allowing children to make choices during mealtime can also help them develop a liking for a wider array of healthy foods. Remember, it may take time for kids to embrace certain fruits and vegetables, so patience and consistency are essential for fostering lifelong healthy eating habits.
Unlike the kitchen, you have little control in shaping your child’s diet when they eat outside. Sugar, salt, and fat are the regular go-to for restaurants looking to add taste to their menu. But you know these additives add little or no taste to the foods. Why not take the upper hand and cook more at home? Getting crafty with homemade versions of their favorites can seriously cut down on added sugars. Trade store-bought sugary cereals for home-baked granola starring whole grains and dried fruits. Try whole wheat muffins with less sugar, or get wild with mashed bananas or sweetened applesauce in your baking. You can spice things up by cooking together; it’s like a food-fueled bonding session that slips in some nutrition lessons.
Cutting sugar from your child’s diet isn’t a mammoth task. You’re building a tastier, healthier path by working these four simple strategies in the mix – familiarizing yourself with the 90/10 rule, blending treats with nutrient-packed food, adding a burst of colors with fruits and veggies, and becoming the home-cook superhero.